WHAT IF YOU FINISHED THIS SENTENCE:
IT’S MY TURN TO…
and you really started to achieve your goals?
Achieving goals can feel elusive, particularly if they feel really personal to you.
What would it feel like for you to complete this statement – It’s My Turn To…? You should feel great! It should feel like it is aligned with what you truly want. Your brain should feel like you are in a zone of positivity. Achieving goals that are meaningful to you can make you light up.
WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO SAY “ENOUGH IS ENOUGH”
First, seek to understand what keeps you from taking inspired action. What keeps you from achieving goals and the one thing that you should finally pursue? Do you have a lot of head trash that gets in the way? If you do, when will you say “enough is enough”? Isn’t this your day, your month, your year? Aren’t you tired of putting yourself last?
You think you’re not treating yourself this way. You think you are doing everything you can to satisfy your most important needs and wants. Think again! Are you moving through life maybe not as boldly as you would like? Maybe you are showing up strongly in one area of your life, while the others are languishing. It’s hard to admit, I get it!
HONESTY, EMOTIONS, AND PAIN
What if you could look in the mirror and be painfully honest with yourself and finish this statement, “It’s My Turn To…”? Can you imagine what would come up for you? Would it surprise you or perhaps upset you? How would you stand on achieving goals that mean a lot to you?
Instead, imagine using your emotions to fuel your idea of achieving goals that would mean the most to you. If your pain isn’t great enough, you may not have a sense of urgency. You can always get to it “later”. A year or two, or five, or ten pass and you’ve had no movement toward what you really want.
HOW MUCH PAIN WILL IT TAKE?
Most of all, do you want to wait for your pain to become unbearable before you are willing to take action? How about allowing your timing to help you accomplish what you truly want? Get it done before the pain of not trying catches up with you. Sit with that thought for a moment. If you could avoid the pain from not trying, wouldn’t that be fabulous?
THIS ISN’T EASY FOR ME
I WASN’T ALWAYS SUCCESSFUL
To be honest, it’s not easy for me to write about these topics either. I am shedding light on some of my own failures regarding achieving goals in the past. I waited far too long to go after what I wanted. Too scared to explore. The pain was far too great and lasted much longer than it had to. I’m pushing out of my comfort zone to illustrate how you can act much more quickly than I did. I don’t want you to suffer any longer than necessary.
WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO START EXPLORING?
CAN YOU MAKE THE TIME?
Either you decide to carve out some time for yourself to start exploring or you don’t. But, wouldn’t it be fantastic to start identifying what you want to achieve? Is it your career, your life, your relationships, or your next chapter? The best thing you can do for yourself is to have a plan for “your next thing”. “Your Next Thing” can be anything you want it to be. Think something grand or something simple. This is your choice, it can be your plan, and it can be the thing that feels the most natural for you to pursue.
What is your dream? Identify your “must do” – something just for you. So, when will it be “Your Turn”? Is that hard for you to accept? You are always able to put everyone else and their needs ahead of yours? At one point, I was operating by putting what I perceived to be everyone else’s needs ahead of my own. When I didn’t get the reaction I had anticipated, I then felt resentful.
I HAD TO THINK ABOUT WHAT I WAS DOING WRONG
Since I feel the need to share my experience authentically, I had to examine the choices I made and the action I was taking. I was wasting a lot of energy with no return on that investment. It not only wasn’t bringing me further along personally, but I wasn’t enhancing anyone else’s happiness the way I thought. My feelings included feeling empty and exhausted.
MY ADVICE FOR MOVING FORWARD
What can I tell you about how to move forward? I think it’s all about you creating an environment in which you can take inspired action. There is a difference between simply taking action and taking inspired action. Taking action gives you momentum, but it doesn’t always lead you in the direction you want or need to go. However, when you take inspired action, you are taking action that is inspired by achieving what you truly want. You know that by taking that particular action you are moving closer to your dreams.
Actually, it’s not as easy as it sounds. You are used to moving forward and taking action in your daily life. Taking inspired action means you know what you want and how to move toward it. Achieving goals can also make you feel scared and uncomfortable. Anything you do that helps you achieve change in your life can be scary. Acknowledge the fact that you will feel uncomfortable and use it to propel you forward.
TAKING INSPIRED ACTION TOWARD ACHIEVING GOALS
So, what can taking inspired action mean for you? When you move in that direction, you can feel:
- More motivated
- You are moving toward something important
- More aligned energetically with what you are going after
- More meaning in your efforts
Finally, what is necessary for you to create an environment that is conducive to making meaningful change? I happen to have six steps that I can share with you!
SIX STEPS TO CREATING AN ENVIRONMENT FOR ACHIEVING GOALS
- Know what you want – Without this element, you are simply “doing”. How often have you gone through a day, simply “doing”, and never getting closer to a feeling of truly accomplishing something that is very important for your well-being.
- Create your visual picture – It’s important to have a visual representation of your future with what you want already in it. It can be a Pinterest board, a vision board with magazine photos, or even an album of photos and quotes on your smart phone.
- Set your intention – It is necessary to decide how you will show up in your life to get what you want. Determine not only your “what”, but work on your “why”. Enter this phase of your life with intention.
- Share your vision and intention for achieving goals – Those who care about you the most will want to do anything to help you. But, they can’t help unless they know what you want. Share as much as your are comfortable sharing and then think about sharing a little bit more. The more they know about how they can play a role in your success, the more they will be inclined to do to help.
- Commit to stay focused – You don’t get things done that are the most important to you because you allow everything else to get in the way. Excuses become your enemy and a commitment to stay focused on the prize will help you a great deal.
- Find others who can help you – Outside of your friends and family, there is an unknown universe of people who can help you. Research who they are and where you can gain access to them. You’ll be able to determine if they may be a good fit for the future. They can be a mentor, business person, or a strong role model who has already achieved what you truly want.
HOW READY ARE YOU?
So, how ready are you to be committed to your “It’s My Turn To…” statement? Create a combination of mindset, commitment, and vision for yourself. If you want to get a sense of where you are on these dimensions, feel free to take my free quiz. It will only take you a few minutes and will give you some great insights that can help position you to move forward. You can access the quiz by clicking on the button below.
I’m Tina Meilleur and a Leadership and Business Mentor, author and speaker. You can learn more about my story here. I am also the founder of Design Your Success and the Academy for Business Success. My mission is helping high achievers match their desires, skills and experiences with success on their terms. My “It’s My Turn” program and CRAVE™ process are systematic approaches for making simple “tweaks” or orchestrating a total reinvention. I am the author of Your Next Chapter: Five Steps to Creating the Life of Your Dreams to help others build anything they want into their life. I have a CPA designation in the State of Louisiana and received my MBA from Tulane University in their Executive MBA program. I’m a highly sought-after mentor, life coach, female CEO facilitator, business strategist/coach, and speaker. You can reach out to me at Tina@DesignYourSuccess.com.