Do you ever feel like you are living behind a mask?
Busy keeping up appearances?
Reluctant to share your real feelings?
Putting on a “brave front” when others continue to engage with you in an unkind or unfeeling way?
Are you ready to allow your feelings to flow up and out?
Are you ready to learn how to channel those feelings in a positive method of authentic communication?
Are you ready to take off your mask and showcase the real you?
[Tweet “When you remove your “public mask”, you can showcase your authentic self.”]
Many of us live behind our “public mask” – the one we feel we need to show to others in order to be judged as a good parent, friend, family member, employee, leader……
What we don’t calculate is the cost to maintain this “public mask” and the energy drain of keeping it intact.
[Tweet “It takes a lot of energy to maintain your public mask. Isn’t it exhausting?”]
What if you had a way to get your true feelings and your authentic self to the forefront without damaging where you are?
Yes, it’s possible, but it requires a commitment to explore what’s possible for you and a desire to let go of the worry associated with how others may perceive you.
Here are 5 ways you can work on removing your mask and showing the real you:
- GET REAL ABOUT DEFINING YOUR AUTHENTIC SELF
- What don’t others know about you?
- What about your personality and your life lights you up?
- What is so crucial to who you are that you can’t describe yourself without including those values and traits?
- PAINT A PICTURE OF HOW YOU PRESENT YOURSELF – YOUR “PUBLIC MASK”
- How would others describe you?
- What are the things you try to portray when interacting with others?
- What do you think you are trying to protect by portraying yourself this way?
- CREATE AN INVENTORY OF BEHAVIORS THAT ARE CRITICAL TO EXPRESSING WHO YOU REALLY ARE
- What behaviors are a true reflection of your authentic self?
- What happens when you show your authentic self?
- How do you feel when you exhibit these authentic behaviors?
- CREATE A LIST OF THE BEHAVIORS THAT HAVE SERVED YOU WELL
- What are the behaviors and traits that you have portrayed and have served you well?
- Have you experienced deepened relationships and interactions as a result of these behaviors?
- Do these behaviors reflect your authentic self?
- CRAFT A PLAN TO UTILIZE THESE NEW BEHAVIORS TO ILLUSTRATE YOUR AUTHENTIC SELF
- Can you take a risk and decide to be more vulnerable in your interactions?
- Can you decide to let go of the fear of how others might react to you acting differently?
- Can you embrace this new way of “showing up” more authentically because it makes you feel good?
All of these tactics can help you move closer to what I call “your ideal life”. An ideal life is one that fits you like a glove. No matter what your situation, you can find joy in it. You can find a way to navigate your life so that your actions reflect your values and your vision. It is possible and I can be your guide.
Take a few minutes to take my free quiz. It will give you some insights into how close you are to living that ideal life for yourself. I say it’s 4-5 minutes to some clarity! Many others are amazed by what they find out and it can help you take these 5 tactics to the next level by identifying some critical focus areas for yourself.
My name is Tina Meilleur and I’m a Leadership and Business Mentor, author and speaker. I am also the founder of Design Your Success and the Academy for Business Success. My mission is helping high achievers match their desires, skills and experiences with success on their terms. My “Next Chapter” program and CRAVE™ process are systematic approaches for making simple “tweaks” or orchestrating a total reinvention. I am also the author of Your Next Chapter: Five Steps to Creating the Life of Your Dreams to help others build anything they want into their life. I have a CPA designation in the State of Louisiana and received my MBA from Tulane University in their Executive MBA program. I’m a highly sought-after mentor, coach, facilitator, and speaker. You can reach out to me at Tina@DesignYourSuccess.com.