What a great aspiration. Easier to say than to do, right? But why?
It is hard to leave your comfort zone. I was talking to a client the other day and she and I both talked about how this resonates with so many of us, “better the devil you know than the devil you don’t”. Bottom line – you are afraid of the unknown.
What’s the payoff for not taking action? You stay safe.
What’s the price for not taking action? Never knowing what could have been.
What side of that would you rather be on? Sounds simple, yes? It’s far from simple. We are conditioned to stick it out, make things work, stay in our lane (usually as defined by others). But what does that get you? You keep other people happy, while you remain discontent and unfulfilled.
What if your life could look like the photo above with doors open everywhere and plenty of options for you to choose from.
That is really possible for you! The road to this possibility is built on expanding your horizons. Contemplating what is possible for you and developing the beliefs that what you want is truly possible. Nothing worth accomplishing is easy, but getting where you are today wasn’t easy either, and you did that.
That’s where “expanding your horizons” comes in……
Here are some ways you can do just that:
- ACCEPT YOUR IMPACT – Others care about you. You have an impact on those around you. Some look up to you as a role model. Make a conscious choice regarding the impact you wish to have in your life.
- STOP THINKING SMALL – You were born for greatness. You have so much to offer. Examine your life’s purpose and ask yourself if you are living up to that purpose in a meaningful way.
- CREATE AN ENVIRONMENT OF POSSIBILITY – Open your mind to the possibilities in your life. Think of things that you have always wanted to do or areas where you have wanted to participate. Believe different things are possible for you.
- LET GO OF WHAT KEEPS YOU STUCK – Consider the times when you were ready to do something different, but found yourself stuck. What thoughts came up and how did they make you feel? Examine if there are patterns that occur in your life that keep you from taking action.
- ACCEPT THE FACT THAT CHANGE IS UNCOMFORTABLE – Any meaningful change will cause some discomfort. That is a given. You can prepare yourself for success by accepting that you will have periods of discomfort before you break through to your next phase.
- FIND A MENTOR THAT CAN GUIDE YOU – Find someone that you admire that can help you navigate your process. It will provide you with a great deal of comfort and support in your journey of discovering what is possible.
These concepts are not new to me. I found myself playing very small in my corporate career. I had a high level position in a Fortune 500 company, but found myself unwilling to take the leap when I had the chance to do something bigger with my life. I wanted to play it safe. I had a crisis of confidence whenever I would consider making meaningful change.
I wish I would have had someone to mentor me through my own doubt – things could have been very different for me. I wanted to find a way to make a difference, a bigger impact in the world. After being laid off, I had the opportunity, but had to go through the steps I have outlined for you above.
I can be that mentor for you…
I documented my journey to reinvent my life and play bigger after my layoff. If you are interested in checking out this process to see if it’s a fit for you, I have a gift for you. Click below to receive a free chapter from my book, Your Next Chapter: Five Steps to Creating a Life of Your Dreams.
I’m Tina Meilleur and a Leadership and Business Mentor, author and speaker. I am also the facilitator of a Women’s CEO group. You can learn more about my story here. I am also the founder of Design Your Success and the Academy for Business Success. My mission is helping high achievers match their desires, skills and experiences with success on their terms. My “It’s My Turn” program and CRAVE™ process are systematic approaches for making simple “tweaks” or orchestrating a total reinvention. I am the author of Your Next Chapter: Five Steps to Creating the Life of Your Dreams to help others build anything they want into their life. I have a CPA designation in the State of Louisiana and received my MBA from Tulane University in their Executive MBA program. I’m a highly sought-after mentor, life coach, female CEO facilitator, business strategist/coach, and speaker. You can reach out to me at Tina@DesignYourSuccess.com.